Sunday, August 21, 2011

Welcome to ART 133 - Visual Arts Foundations

Hello everyone! Welcome to ART 133! As you'll see, this blog is where you will find all of the important information about the class. I will post all homework here, as well as links that can help you with classwork, homework and general learning. Please check here often!

As we go through this semester, my goal will be to instill more than just knowledge of the Mac OS and the Adobe Creative Suite CS5, but to also give you a more broad understanding of both digital and traditional art.

So, for your first assignment, I want you to pick a piece of artwork. Any artist's (that has been published, or shown professionally) work will do, but pick a piece that you personally enjoy. Once you have that in mind, I want the following from you. It will be due on Wednesday.

Make sure to have ALL of this information!
Please print out your info w/a pic of the artwork.
• Look for a large sized image of the selected artwork (at least 800 pixels wide)
• Tell me the name of the artist
• Tell me the title of the work
• Tell me the date the work was created
• Tell me the media used to create the piece (wood, oil, collage, etc.)
• Tell me what style it is in.
• Write down (computer document) what attracted you to this piece. Avoid terms such as "I like" when describing it. Talk about it's elements, construction, media and possibly even the artist as a person.

Bring all of this, on your flash drive, to class with you on Wednesday to turn in.

Here's mine, to show you an example:

• Jasper Johns
• Target
• 1958
• Oil and collage (newsprint) on canvas
• Pop art and/or neo-dadaist
• Target is the main element, yet it leads nowhere. Attracted to the bold colors. Mixed media resulted in interesting surface texture on the painting. Used conventional materials in
unconventional ways. Jasper Johns did not finish college but served in the Korean war.

1 comment: